Sunday, February 21, 2010

Is There A Doctor In The House?

One of the first things we did when Collin came home was to take him to the doctor to make sure we knew exactly what illnesses and bugs we were dealing with and to start immunizations.
It turns out he's a pretty social kid once he gets comfortable. He started out playing with the nurses, but got a little nervous when mommy started taking his clothes off.
The worried look went away as soon as we put him on the scale. He decided it was fun to bounce in it. Once we settled him down, he weighed in at 20.5 lbs, pre-bounce of course.
Our doctors office exam rooms are decorated with animals. While we were waiting for the doctor, Collin kept pointing to the animals and repeating their names after I said them. He was starting to think this place was pretty fun. And then the nurses walked in with the needles. Game over. That's when the above playful guy turned into this guy...

Having had no personal experience with the fine art of giving a two-year old shots, and not being smart enough to ask someone, I was completely taken by surprise when they asked me to hold him on my lap and "make sure to keep him still" while they tag teamed him with needles. After that, we didn't so much have an opportunity to pull the camera back out. I was rushing to get his clothes back on before his screams actually burst any ones ear drums and trying desperately to keep the tears in my eyes from rolling down my cheeks. I'm still traumatized. Okay, stop laughing at me. And Collin? Well, after they gave him a little toy tricycle, he was all smiles again. That is, until the next day when we had to go back for a TB test. Poor kid is gonna think every time he walks through the door of that office someone is gonna stick him with something. Thankfully, the test came back clean and we don't have to go back for awhile.
Good thing too, I'm gonna need some time to work up to the next one. Seriously, stop laughing at me Toria... :)

4 comments:

Jason and Kristin said...

Yah, that pin your child down while we stick him, isn't my favorite. Then dressing a screaming child. The whole thing makes me sweaty!

Jason and Kristin said...

Hey I just noticed that Target has their leather storage ottoman on sale this week! I would e-mail this info to you but I lost your address AGAIN!

Toria said...

Gus... as I recall, you more than giggled at my sobbing the first time I had to hold Jaxson down for the nurses tag team. I'm sorry you had to go through it, but I am going to grin for a little while at your expense. :) And Collin still loves me so I know he'd be okay with my laughing at his mamma. :)

Teri said...

Oh man! So not fun. You handled it like a trooper though it sounds like and so did he. Glad to hear the TB test came back clear, yay!