Saturday, November 28, 2009

It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

In an effort to avoid black Friday shopping with my crazy, er, determined sisters and sister-in-law this year, I volunteered to host the first annual cousin camp out. I thought it might buy me a few more hours of sleep. Stop laughing. Here's a list of participants: Jaxson, 7; Lexi, 5; Kaylee, 5; Logan, 4; Kaycie, 18 months; Bridger, 6 weeks. Here they are.

(Kaycie was already asleep)

Yeah, they look all sweet and innocent now... Here's a rundown of how our night went:

8:00pm - Mommies, a couple of daddies, and one terribly unfortunate uncle arrive. Mommies put baby Kaycie to bed and feed baby Bridger.
8:10pm - Mommies are grouped together over my kitchen counter finalizing the strategy. This year it was complete with an excel spreadsheet and assignments for specific areas of the store.
8:15pm - I'm laughing hysterically as Kate gives the final "marching orders" complete with warnings of never leaving a man behind, and instructions on how to "move up in the ranks" (they are a military family).
8:20pm - The parents leave to do a little recon on where sale items are going to be placed in the morning.
9:30pm - The kids and I make popcorn and hot chocolate and settle down to fall asleep in front of Finding Nemo.
10:30pm - Kaylee is asleep.
10:45pm - Logan is asleep.
11:30pm - Jaxson is asleep.
11:45pm - Kaycie is awake and not happy.
12:00am - Lexi is finally asleep; Kaycie, still screaming.
12:30am - Feed Bridger, Kaycie still screaming.
1:00am - Bridger is asleep on his blankie, I'm rocking a still screaming and nearly hyperventilating Kaycie.
1:30am - Kaycie finally falls asleep.
1:35am - Bridger is awake with an upset tummy.
2:00am - After rubbing his belly for awhile, Bridger fills his diaper and goes back to sleep.
2:35am - Logan wakes up confused at where he is and asks if he can watch a movie under his bed.
3:00am - Lexi falls off the couch.
3:30am - Feed Bridger again.
4:00am - I finally get to go to sleep.
4:48am - Bridger is awake. Again.
5:15am - Rock N Walk Bridger in the front room while listening to one of my neighbors leave for, presumably, more shopping.
5:35am - Lay Bridger back on his tummy on the floor. He falls asleep, but his tummy is still upset so he's crying in his sleep.
6:30am - Feed a restless Bridger again, and this time he finally falls into a restful sleep. Just my luck.
7:15am- Kaylee's awake.
7:50am -Logan and Jaxson are awake.
8:10am - Kaycie and Lexi are awake.

Glad I picked the option that allowed me more sleep... :)

5 comments:

The Lower Family said...

It is just preparing you for what motherhood is all about! Don't you love it! Enjoy the time you have to sleep before Collin gets here!

David and Candice said...

What a great and fun Aunt you are!! I love that you already have your tree up...-Candice

Meltmomma said...

Everyone needs a Great Aunt :)Hope your family got some great deals! Sounds like you got 5x the practice of motherhood in 1 night. That's a bargain !But costly in the sleep department:)
Bambi

Jason and Kristin said...

I hope your sisters at least snagged you some of the good deals! And now you know for next year so you won't step in that one again!!!! (I'm totally laughing my head off)!

Janette said...

So... are you going shopping next year?!?