Thursday, November 12, 2009

Show Us Those Pearly Whites!

Now admittedly, I don't know much about how things work in an orphanage. There are somethings that I didn't even think about, like where do you keep enough clothes to take care of 68 kids? I'm sure there's a closet or chest of drawers somewhere, but I didn't notice one when I was there. Other things that I found out accidentally, like how you bathe 68 kids at one time. It involves a little bucket line where they dump water over them, scrub them down and then dump rinse them off. Sounds like fun huh? There are other things that, although they amaze me, I prefer not to spend too much time dwelling on. Like this for example... How do you teach 68 kids how to brush their teeth? Where do you keep 68 toothbrushes? And how do you keep them all separate? Yeah, let's stop thinking about that shall we? One way or another, they apparently do. This is Collin and Nathan as I was unpacking. Collin grabbed my water bottle, and proceeded to show me how to brush his teeth.
Luckily, the concept of turning the water bottle upside down to get the water out, has so far escaped him!

Every morning (and some nights, when he wasn't too sleepy; hey, cut me some slack, I'm still new at this) we went through the process of brushing his teeth. Twice. The first time so he could eat the toothpaste, and the second time so we could actually brush his teeth. Even got the top ones, sort of, after a semi-ridiculous game of charades to get him to open his mouth...

We did a pretty good job, don't ya think?



5 comments:

David and Candice said...

What a cutie!! love that smile:)-Candice

Meltmomma said...

That is a great picture of his handsome smile & pearly white little teeth ! What a doll :)
Bambi

Jason and Kristin said...

Dude, I should brush Jonah's teeth more often :(

Lewis Family said...

Couldn't you just eat him up! What a cutie!! And everyone forgets the tooth-brushing sometimes. They survive. lol ~Emily

Autumn said...

What a beautiful boy Tia! I just cried my way through all of your previous posts since I've been a blog slacker lately. What a wonderful thing! I can't wait to see the two of you together soon!