Monday, January 30, 2012

Memories...

Dear Collin,

As I look back over the past two an a half years that we've known each other, there are a few days I can remember exactly what I was doing at any point in the day. This is one of those days. Two years ago today was a Saturday. Aunt Lolo and two of our other friends picked me up at 5:30 in the morning and we drove as fast as we could to the airport. We spent the whole day flying across the United States trying as hard as we could to get to Miami as fast as was humanly possible. Aunt Lolo slept, she'd earned it, she'd been awake pretty much 24/7 since the earthquake and after having done everything she possibly could to get you and Nate and all of your friends home to us, she'd finally given in to exhaustion. I was tired, but too nervous and too excited to sleep, so instead, I chatted with Natalie's daddy Matt while he prepared the English lesson he would have to teach in a few days.

I remember that my mind was moving faster than the airplane. I worried that you were scared or confused or that you'd sustained some sort of injury in the earthquake that no one was telling me about. Mostly I worried about what kind of mommy I would make for you. I knew from the moment I first held you in my arms that you were an amazing little boy and deserved the very best. I worried whether or not I'd be able to deliver on everything you deserved.

I remember thinking about the people that Heavenly Father put in our lives to make the miracle of you coming home possible. Aunt Lolo, who at the time, should seriously have run for public office. She had THOSE kinds of connections. (Who else has a Senator's office on speed dial?) Auntie Chareyl, who is quite literally an angel walking among us. I'll never know how she had the strength and the courage to do what she did. Uncle Brent and Scott who gave up two weeks of their lives and their health to go to Haiti and bring you home. And Harry. I don't know Harry very well, but I know what he lost that awful day of the earthquake, and even in the face of all that tragedy, he went looking for you. The people who'd never met you, but were willing to donate enough money to fuel a plane in one day. All of mommy's friends who called, emailed and showed up at our door, just to be there for me. I was in awe that I was a part of such a miracle. I still am.

Most of all I remember being humbled by the tender mercies of a Heavenly Father, who loved both of us enough to make sure that we found each other. Even in Haiti. I love you so much my little boy. I'm so proud of you. Of the person you already are, of the person you will become. Thank you for making my dream come true.

Love,
Mommy

1 comment:

R AND R AND Z said...

this story make me cry it puts me right back to those days. I hope all is well