Thursday, January 26, 2012

It Wasn't Thomas, But It Would Do

When I was growing up, one of my favorite Christmas traditions was bundling up with my family (all 11 of us) and driving up to see the lights at Temple Square. A couple of months ago, Collin discovered Thomas the Tank Engine, and a love for all things "train" was born. Stay with me, I promise I'll bring the stories together and wrap them up with a cute little Christmas bow. One thing I learned growing up, was that I HATED downtown traffic. It seemed like the buildings were too tall, too close together and there were too many people trying to get to or away from them. This year, I found a way to bring my love of Christmas lights and Collin's love of trains together into a brand new family tradition. But first a nap was required for all prospective travelers...

Except for mommy, who spent nap time trying to figure out how to work the new camera. Then we picked up best friends, Aunt Lolo and Nate and went to dinner. I told Collin he could order whatever he wanted from the kids menu...

He chose pancakes and french fries. Looks fabulous doesn't it? Then it was off to the train station to catch a ride on our very first train. (Okay, really, it's light rail, but looks like a train, it runs on a track, it's a train to us!)


They were so excited!

I don't know what this face is, but I promise he was having fun!


When we got to Temple Square, Collin was more excited that he got to ride the train again to get home than he was to see the lights, but he did indulge me a few pictures. Aside from the train breaking down three times on our return trip, causing one near potty disaster, (Yay! for mommy carrying a pull-up in her bag!) I think I like this new tradition. We may give it a whirl again next year.

1 comment:

Daniel & Shandi said...

Best idea! I'm sure he loved it! I can't believe how big he is getting. So cute!