Thursday, May 21, 2009

Right Place, Right Time?

I had a very interesting, (and by that I mean, Holy Cow how did I get in this situation and what do I do now?) experience this week.

Monday, I went to lunch with my very dear friend Jennifer, who also happens to be my partner in crime... I mean co-worker at the office. Jenn and I go to lunch most every Monday, and we can usually be found at one of three places. La Puente, for the best smothered burritos in town, Chin Wah, when branching out for Chinese food, or Red Robin when trying to create the illusion that we eat healthy food (their crispy chicken salads, with the honey mustard dressing is awesome!!). This week, we were trying to create an illusion; a decision I will wonder about for the rest of my life, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Fast forward past the initial drink and entree order, to the time our salads were delivered. I was complaining, I mean telling, Jenn about my experience at the singles conference I went to over the weekend (don't hold your breath for that post... no really, don't...) when Jenn suddenly starts coughing, with a semi-panicked look on her face. She suddenly stood up and started to walk away from the table. Not entirely sure what was happening, I asked her if she was okay. She turned around (with a now fully panicked look on her face) pointed to her throat and shook her head. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, she was choking.

I've always wondered what I would do if I was ever in this situation again. (The first time, it didn't end well.) A lot of thoughts ran through my head in that first few seconds. "What do I do?"; "Do I REALLY know how to do this correctly?"; "Why is everyone watching, but no one helping?"; "Someone PLEASE help me!"; "Heavenly Father, Jenn is a REALLY good friend, and the last thing I want is for her to choke to death in front of me. Could you please help me out here?".

The last thought won out. I stood behind her, put my arms around her, found her ribcage (not easy to do with a moving target, panic makes you do some interesting things), and "thrust upward" with as much power as I could muster. (Sorry about the bruised rib Jenn!) Out popped the piece of chicken and Jenn and I collapsed, shaking, onto the bench, while the crowd of onlookers, who could now move, came up to ask if she was okay.

A happy ending to an experience I hope NEVER to repeat. My sincerest thanks to Henry Heimlich, for inventing a way to free items lodged in one's throat. And most sincerest thanks to Heavenly Father for giving me the courage to get out of my chair and help a friend in trouble.

Oh, and to Jenn. Thanks so much for not dying. That would have seriously ruined my week! :) And please, please, PLEASE, don't EVER do that again!

5 comments:

Lori said...

Two points for the Lord for the quickly answered prayers! And THANK YOU for not dying, Jen!

You rule the free world, T. I'm uber-proud of you!

And now I have ANOTHER reason on my list of T-awesomeness: she can correctly perform the Heimlich under pressure!

(Why couldn't someone named "Smith" have invented that? "Heimlich" isn't fun to spell!)

Jason and Kristin said...

Holy snot! Was she still coughing or just sitting there not breathing. I'm very proud of you! Do you think you'll ever eat at Red Robin again? Now, tell me more about this singles conference????

Jonie said...

That is so scary, glad that it turned out well. I love the way you write though, you have a real talent.

Amy Jones said...

Holy freaking cow. I've always wondered what I'd do in the same situation...and I'm nearly positive I wouldn't be able to handle it with the grace you did. I'm SUPER SUPER impressed. You are pretty stinking AWESOME!

Christina Updike said...

What a very scary situation! Way to go!! I hope I am with you when something goes wrong . . . you did a great job!! I am sooo glad that Jenn is okay!!